This site is a free service for communication, self-expression and freedom of speech. We believe this site increases the availability of information, encourages healthy debate, and makes possible new connections between people.
While reporting on topics, we will ask the questions some newspapers don't. We will print the questions that some newspapers won't.
All sources of information are confidential.


Email The Fact of The Matter at:

tfotmwestfield@gmail.com


Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Don't Be Fooled by Phone Solicitations for Police Officer Charitable Causes

   

 During this time of year, around the holidays when most people are in the "giving" spirit, your phone may ring from a solicitor calling on behalf of families of police officers killed in the line of duty.  They will represent themselves as a non-profit or non-for-profit organization.
   
DON"T BE FOOLED!

     I received a phone call today and once again, asked the following questions:
1.  What percentage of my donation goes directly to the families of police officers killed in the line of duty?
     Answer: After administrative fees, it all goes to the families.
*The problem here is that these organizations collecting donations can keep a hefty amount, sometimes up to 90% of your donation, for administrative fees.  That leaves 10% of your donation to the families in need.

2.  Where are you calling from to solicit the donation?
     Answer: New York, which was then changed to Michigan by the caller.  He admitted to be calling from his own home.
     The solicitor abruptly ended the phone call when I informed him he was speaking to a retired police officer and former executive board member of my local PBA.  He obviously called the wrong person.

*If you are so inclined to donate to any police organization, fund raiser, or law enforcement charity, please contact your local police department's Policeman's Benevolent Association and make a donation, or at least ask them what reputable law enforcement charities you can donate to that will apply your donation without the substantial "administrative fees" that the over the phone solicitors are pocketing.

*Westfield PBA Local 90 does not solicit donations over the phone.  They solicit them through the mail once a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment